[Right_to_die] Helium hood method of self-deliverance went well

World right-to-die news list (nonprofit) right-to-die at lists.opn.org
Sun Nov 22 09:14:10 PST 2009

Comment:
My very ill friend successfully completed her final exit using the
information from the 'Final Exit' book about a week ago.  The helium
cannisters were the party pak ones purchased from a local store and she
used a turkey roaster bag and the elastic element was an athletic
headband.  She did opt for the t-valve so that only 1 tube was taped
inside the bag.

Everything worked exactly as stated in the book.  There was lots of
planning.  Two comments:

1.  As she pulled the bag over her head she said it's cold.... assume
she was referring to the helium.  Might be something for people to know
about to be prepared.

2.  The helium ran out about 15-20 mins after she started, but before
she was dead,  so those present ( but not assisting) had to trust that
was normal, that she had inhaled enough breaths of pure helium, and that
this was normal and not to panic  Another little point of detail.

Otherwise I am so grateful she had this option as her pain had become
unbearable.  I am hoping laws change during my lifetime so end of life
planning can be more inclusive of family and friends which helps
eliminate uninformed fears about death.
Thank you again for your work.