rationalizations,

Karen Daskawicz daskawicz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 04:29:54 PDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 2:32 AM, Gadi Evron <gevron at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. X is just testing our faith
> 2. It is us who misunderstood the meaning
> 3. We did get Y as X saw fit, it's just that X doesn't cater to our wants
> 4. We have done something to anger X
> 5. We have not been worthy enough
> 6. Z has not been worthy and ruined it for the rest of us
> 7. Humans are fallible/one can't always be right/X is off his/her game

I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing you're looking for, but one that
I've heard a lot:

"Science doesn't know everything."

or (variation)

"Science has been wrong before."

It is almost impossible to get through to people the concept that "science"
is not just a collection of facts, but is a process / way of thinking or
discovering.  And that yes, the "truths" that we discover using "science" do
change over time as we discover new information and re-test hypotheses.  The
leap of perverted thinking seems to be that just because scientific
knowledge is constantly expanding / evolving and that at any given moment
humans do not know or understand all things, that means that any given
scientific hypothesis, at any given moment, no matter how much evidence it
has to date, is no more valid than some cockamamie paranormal idea with no
valid scientific evidence or thinking of any kind to support it.  To me,
this is a fundamental inability to understand the scientific "process".

-Karen Daskawicz